As you are likely aware, the owners of the Pinehurst Wine Shoppe (“PWS”) located at the corner of Bellona and Gittings are seeking to expand their physical space to enable additional retail business opportunities. Although there were initial issues based on past efforts at expansion and recent miscommunications around the current proposal, members of the Board and PWS owners held a very productive meeting this summer to reset our relationship and work to forge a path forward amenable to all parties.
Expansion plan details—the following are key elements of PWS’s plan:
- Build a first-floor addition to the north side of the building (facing Gittings Avenue) for expanded retail space and storage
- Expand their product offerings to include food (such as pre-made sandwiches)
- Extend PWS business hours, possibly including Sunday hours
- Add picnic tables or other seating on the outside patio
The Highly Impacted Neighbors (“HIN”) defined as households located within 200 feet of PWS were given the opportunity to meet with PWS ownership to discuss specifics of their plans, ask questions, and express their concerns. One meeting was a site visit. Other meetings are held with just interested HIN participants to refine their questions and concerns. There were four meetings with HIN in total through September and October.
The Board has compiled the concerns of HIN as follows:
- Expanded business hours
- Expanded alcohol consumption on premises (PWS currently is licensed to provide tastings)
- Potential future efforts to change the business model and/or liquor licensing (e.g. to become a “tavern”)
We want to hear from you! If you have any questions or concerns not reflected above, please respond via email to Darlene Townsend at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name and address. Your opinion matters!
These concerns will be brought back to PWS with the goal of establishing a Memorandum of Understanding (“MOU”) to be executed between the BGCA and PWS. A MOU will communicate the specifics of what PWS will and will not do, and covers such things as business activities, hours of operation, noise levels, etc.
Thank you for your interest in our greater community.
President, Bellona-Gittings Community Association